Sunday, August 4, 2019

Saying Goodbye


There’s a myriad of emotions that person experiences when they lose a beloved pet. For some, it’s not just your run of the mill sadness, it’s a deep-rooted grief that completely cripples you. You always know deep down in your heart that one day you aren’t going to have them anymore. So, you spoil them and cater to their every whim. All because one day you won’t be able to. Especially once they start to get older.



Coping with the loss of my cat, Hayley after 18 years has caused a whole new set of problems. The first being massive panic attacks. Hayley wasn’t technically a therapy pet, but she would have passed with flying colors had I tried to certify her. She checked on me if I coughed, let alone a full-blown panic and crying. So, I’m feeling more alone than I ever thought I would, and having bipolar disorder isn’t helping the situation. I was thoroughly depressed before any of this came up with Hayley, so this piled on top is just too much weight to carry.



I know there are people out there that don’t treat their pets the same way…don’t treat them like they’re one of the family, but that’s not us. Every day, I found myself thinking of her and it immediately launches me into a panic attack. It’s only been 2 days since we said goodbye. I’ll never get that image of her passing out of my head. I considered closing my eyes for it, but when it came down to it, I was more worried about Hayley possibly feeling scared. Then the Vet listened and said, “Her heart has stopped. She has passed away”.



That cat meant everything to me. I don’t work out of the home, so I am usually home with all the cats every day. Hayley has been sick off and on for 2 years, so I feel like I have been caring for her all of that time. She was 18!!! She lived a good, full life but that’s not enough. 


She loved us and we worshipped her. She was the most beautiful cat I have ever seen. She was smart and knew exactly when her mom needed her.



Since this past Tuesday, I’ve experienced 11 different panic attacks because she wasn’t there and I expected her to be. Here are the steps in the grieving process:

Grief typically has five stages;

  1. Denial
  2. Anger
  3. Bargaining
  4. Depression
  5. Acceptance

I am most certainly in the denial part. I keep telling myself that if I don’t think about it, I’ll be fine.



Here’s a quote from the Bipolar Lives website:

It doesn’t matter if it’s a friend, family member or pet. The loss of a loved one can be especially devastating if you are bipolar.



I can’t comprehend what the next year or so is going to be. I keep thinking about her Christmas stocking. I don’t think we’ll put it up. I’m having trouble seeing photos of her too. They instantly cause anxiety. It’s like this feeling like somebody has two hands wrapped around my windpipe and it hurts to breathe.



So, is there a way out of this? For me personally, I don’t stop grieving until my brain tells me that it’s safe. I can’t do yoga or write down my feelings every day, etc. None of those things are helpful to me. My plan of attack is to talk to my doctor and see what she can do for me.



In the meantime, I’ll deal with this pain and heartache. The next stage of grief is anger. I’m not looking forward to that one.





Wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for the loss of Hayley. It sounds like she was close to you. When we lose our beloved pets, our hearts are shattered into many pieces. Give yourself all the time you have to grieving for Hayley. Our pets are our families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for the loss of your Haley. I know what you mean when say Haley was always with you. I believe that pets are our families. I had to put my first cat Cally to rest when she was 7 years old. He was my best friend in the World, and the loss of him shattered my heart into pieces. I was with him the whole time, when the Vet put him to rest. I know you will grieve for Haley for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saying goodbye is always difficult and hardest thing. We should try to overcome it as soon as possible. Try to get mix up with people who understand you emotionally. God bless you! Wish you all the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saying goodbye is always difficult and hardest thing. We should try to overcome it as soon as possible. Try to get mix up with people who understand you emotionally. God bless you! Wish you all the best. :-) Buy Etizolam

    ReplyDelete

10 Years

  10 Years   It’s been 10 years. 10 solid years. There’s got to be something bigger…A DECADE.   10 years since my suicide attempt ...