Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Guest Post by Aniket Saraf - Battling Mental Health with Debilitating Physical Traum


Opening Up: Battling Mental Health along with Debilitating Physical Trauma



There are many misconceptions about Mental Health Issues that, either you have them since childhood or you don’t. I experienced the banality of this statement first-hand after suffering from severe physical trauma opened my eyes to this bitter truth.

In this article, I wish to share some details about my recovery, how I noticed changes in myself that alerted me to the importance of mental health, the lack of education and awareness regarding mental health, how the stigma has instilled ignorance, negligence and even fear and intolerance in people’s minds regarding mental health problems and the difficulties I faced (still am facing) while dealing with Mental Illness in addition to my physical trauma. I say this sarcastically, but some of you might think that this is just a rant and I can’t deny that, it is, but is NOT JUST a rant. I want to spread awareness regarding mental health problems so that others don’t have to struggle, be afraid and hesitate when they try to open up and address these issues like me.



What does Mental Health have to do with Physical Trauma? They aren’t related right?

Speaking from personal experience, I can say that Physical Trauma and Mental Health Issues are definitely interrelated. I think the term PTSDPost Traumatic Stress Disorder says it all. “Trauma” here includes physical as well as mental, no matter where it has been inflicted or how.

After learning that I won’t be able to travel freely at least 18 months, I can tell you, the physical trauma completely affected my mental health. For about a year, I was focusing only on the positive, suppressing and trivializing all the negativity. Then suddenly, all the pent up negative thoughts began creeping out through the small cracks already present in my mind, and within a few days, my mind was engulfed in the negativity. It has been a painful struggle fighting mental health problems and keeping up with the physical therapy for my injuries, it makes me writhe.

Only the physical aspect of the trauma is visible to everyone; broken bone, paralyzed arm, skin, muscle, tissue loss. But, the accident and these injuries inflicted on me also affected me mentally. My mind started to play the ridiculous “What If?” games.

“I dropped out of college, only for THIS to happen?” “What if I had taken that job at the travel company? It was good and I would be earning right now, instead of being a broke freelance writer completely dependent on my father.” “I am worthless. I am garbage. I am a complete Failure. I won’t amount to anything, ever. I should just Give Up now and save my father’s money. There’s no use in continuing to fight.”

This is how my thoughts begin and rampantly escalate to thoughts of self-harm and at times, suicide. THIS is why I say Mental Health and Physical trauma are related.

Here are a few facts about mental health problems that might dispel certain misconceptions in people’s minds:

§  There is NO AGE LIMIT. Any person can suffer from a mental illness regardless of their Age.

§  These problems make one think the worst of themselves and at times, do extreme things and hurt others. But, We ARE NOT our mental illness.

§  Opening up to anyone IS a big deal even if it might not be for the person we are trusting. Nothing is ever TRIVIAL.

§  Any kind of trauma can affect one’s mental health, be it mental or physical.



So, if you see or think that someone might be battling mental health issues, try reaching out and offering a helping hand. But, remember not to make ANY assumptions whatsoever about their situation, struggle or pain. Just be there for them! That’s more than enough.

Here is a quote I have written after experiencing first hand, how assuming things can be harmful:

The worst thing one can do is make assumptions. Assumptions are dicey and self – serving and can only cause hurt. Never go down that path – it’s riddled with thorns.”

2 comments:

  1. Consultation for Chronic Disease Management – The American Cancer Society defines chronic cancer as controlled or stable cancer, meaning tests and scans show the cancer is not progressing over the course of time.

    Consultation for Chronic Disease Management in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia | Yournhc

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

10 Years

  10 Years   It’s been 10 years. 10 solid years. There’s got to be something bigger…A DECADE.   10 years since my suicide attempt ...