Friday, June 24, 2016

Guest Post: Meghan Shultz - New Author Details Her Mental Illness Journey

Today I'm happy to have a guest post from an up and coming author that just released her first book. I was in her position a year ago and sometimes it's hard to get a leg up when you're promoting your book. Especially when it's a memoir about mental illness. 
Congratulations to Meghan on beginning this journey!


Always Unstable: A Memoir
My book, ‘Always Unstable: Bipolar and Hospitalization: A Memoir’. You can probably tell a lot from the title. I have problems with stability, I have Bipolar Disorder and, I’ve spent my fair share of time in psychiatric hospitals. And it’s all true.

I’ve been hospitalized five times in the last 10 or 11 years. Sometimes in the US and sometimes in Australia. Four of my hospital stays were all within one ear. And I’ve been fortunate that every hospital that I’ve been in has been great, or at least mostly great. These hospitalizations are what I have based my book on. I go through them with as much detail as I can remember. I read through piles and piles of old journals from hospital to piece together those parts that I had forgotten about. And let me tell you, going though hospital journals can be pretty interesting, like the time I wrote about telling my psychiatrist that I wanted to have sex with him. My husband got called in after that one.

I’ve never been to a hospital for the same thing twice. I’ve been committed for a suicide attempt, a bipolar mixed episode, mania/ eating disorder, electroconvulsive therapy and last but not least, a psychotic manic episode. It’s always something. See, I like to keep things interesting. Not.

Throughout this book I take you on a journey through each of my five hospital stays. I go over what happened to get me there, like the suicide attempt, that was a very long time coming. I tell you what happened while I was there, and let’s be honest, psychiatric hospitals can be pretty interesting places to be. And lastly, I talk a little about what happened after I left.

My story is truthful, brutally honest and maybe sometimes hard to read. I know that often it was hard to write. I’ve been through a lot and it’s just about all in there. There are things in there that I hadn’t ever told anyone before. It’s easier to admit to wrong doings in writing than it is in verbal conversation. My Mum was the first to read my book. I expected her to be angry or even furious, but she wasn’t. She read all of the things that I’ve done in my life until now and I guess just accepted the bad things that I’ve done in part because of my illness. She said that she liked my book, I didn’t want to pry for any more details. I’m 27, not too old to be scolded by a parent.


Words are powerful things and I hope that mine are in the best way possible. I want to people to understand, I want people to relate, I want someone to read this and feel less alone. I want someone to read this and get help. 

Bio:
I am 27 years old I’ve been living with mental illness for a very long time, most of my life. I have Bipolar I Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, and Anxiety Disorder. But that’s not all I am. I am also a writer, a painter, a knitter, and an avid walker. I love the winter time; I love the rain. I also have a constantly growing collection of stuffed animals. I love tattoos. 

Twitter: @alwaysunstable
Facebook: @meghanshultzauthor
Book US version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H9XAXS4

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 Years

  10 Years   It’s been 10 years. 10 solid years. There’s got to be something bigger…A DECADE.   10 years since my suicide attempt ...